Monday, July 5, 2010

In Search of Bullwinkle

We took a ride last night up Oilwell Road looking for moose. Oilwell Road runs 18 miles east into the back country toward the Caribou Hills. We hadn't gone but a few miles when we found our first moose representative. He sure didn't like being caught between us and the small RV park behind him. Later on we found a bull just starting to grow out some antlers.

Hitting one of these guys out on the Sterling Highway is not trivial. They can step out of the brush along the road and be idling along in your lane in seconds. 

As a bonus we got to experience muskeg first hand. I found a small lake just sprouting some liiy pads and blossoms and slopped my way out there for a picture. I knew I should have thrown my rubber boots, the staple of Alaskan footwear, in the truck!

Moose trot.

These guys are very happy with the few mosquitoes this year.

It looks like dry ground, but it's muskeg.

1 comment:

  1. Muskeg??? I don't know what that is!? Is it the bog-like pond, or a plant or something else? Tell us more.

    ReplyDelete